Pages

Tuesday 5 June 2012

Oh! Take me back to dear old Blighty

Happy Jubilee Day everyone!

I'm not a royalist but I've really enjoyed this bank holiday. I've decided to view it as celebrating being British rather than a pretty pointless anniversary. I particularly enjoyed the celebrations we had at school as it felt like we were making some really fantastic memories that the children would cherish in the future.

We had a wonderful old fashioned street party in the afternoon sunshine, complete with a samba drum display from our Y4's. I decided my class would create a piece of artwork as a display for the festivities, so a couple of days beforehand, to the sountrack of a best of British playlist I'd made (I'm educating them musically, as well as academically) we got to work on this Union Jack mosiac.

I have 28 children so I cut up a small union jack into 28 sections and gave each child one, along with a number (that they all promptly forgot, of course). Then they each had a sheet of card that was a bit larger than A3, and they had to work out the ratio to turn the smaller one into the bigger one, so it was a bit of sneaky numeracy too.

Then they were free to choose how they wanted to fill it. Some did it black and white, some used black and white pictures of things to do with britain then painted over them, some did fingerprints, collage, lace, felt, glitter etc. Then we strung it all to a fence with my step ladder and gang of sensible volunteers!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers